Virginia happens to be a university English teacher for more than twenty years. She focuses on assisting individuals compose essays quicker and easier.
Want An Improved Grade?
Several things have actually changed within the 23 years i have taught College English, but a very important factor have not. Pupils nevertheless result in the exact exact same errors that are common their papers. We guarantee that you will get a better grade if you follow my instructions to eliminate these errors on your paper. perhaps maybe Not enough time? My suggestions are bought most abundant in ones that are important.
Spelling and Grammar
The situation: Students rush to complete their documents plus don’t simply take the time for you to find and fix errors which they can potentially correct.
The Perfect Solution Is:
- Spell-check your essay utilizing your word program that is processing.
- Use Grammarly to greatly help look for mistakes (Bing “Grammarly’ to download the free variation). After applying this myself for per year, we finally need my students put it to use too since it does get many word that is common mistakes and comma errors.
- Re-read your essay slowly (out loud is most beneficial) from beginning to end. That can help you discover a complete great deal of errors and typos that could be missed by the spellchecker.
- Ask some other person to learn your essay to take into consideration mistakes. Sometimes a close buddy is able to see one thing you cannot.
Why Fix? Misspelled words and typos inform your instructor you do not care. More to the point, these kinds of mistakes at work inform your employer because you don’t spell check!) that you are a sloppy worker, and that can make you get passed over for a promotion (but no one will tell you it is. So learn how to be considered a careful proofreader.
Always Always Check Word Useage
The issue: Students compose the method they talk, making their writing too informal.
The answer: Look at your essay to note that you’re not making use of these typical terms and expressions which are either:
- wrong sentence structure
- confused terms
- bad term alternatives
- not suitable for a scholastic piece
To resolve this Forever: Keep a summary of the expressed term errors you find in your documents, or that your particular teacher has marked on graded essays. You will need to discover the principles. Make sure those words by using them if not whenever you proofread.
Why Fix? The guidelines on most of these terms are taught in primary college. Perhaps you missed those classes, did not realize, or have a couple of among these that you do not keep in mind. As these are classes taught to small children, it must be a piece of cake them now for you to learn. Do your self a benefit and see your standard mistakes to ensure that you can easily somewhat enhance your writing for future years.
Common Word Errors
Once You Fix Grammar Errors..
Revise Boring, Short and Repetitive Sentences
Problem: Sentences are wordy, boring, and seem the exact same.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is in western Africa. The Ebola virus is life-threatening. The Ebola virus is frightening to lots of people. Individuals wonder should they can be the following victims of the lethal virus. Individuals do not trust federal government sources that guarantee us the Ebola virus is included.
- Circle every expressed term that you apply to start out a phrase.
- Try to find sentences which have the exact same very first terms, particularly in one of the following ways if they are in the same paragraph and change them:
Put in a change term or expression to begin the phrase (nevertheless, and even though, furthermore, in addition, additionally, consequently). See my “change words” chart for lots more examples.
Utilize various sentence kinds, like concerns, interjections and commands.
- Which can be truly the many crucial solution to help stop Ebola?
- We must work now!
- Bear in mind that as our society shrinks, what are the results in Africa and elsewhere has importance that is great everyone else.
Re-arrange the phrase by having an Introductory Element. Basic elements are phrases which come before the topic of the phrase. Frequently you are able to make the end of the phrase and go it to your front side which will make a far more sentence that is interesting. Make sure you remember a comma following the Introductory Element.
Western Africa may be the spot in which the life-threatening Ebola virus first hit. Wondering in the event that virus that is deadly distribute, many individuals are frightened by Ebola. perhaps perhaps Not trusting federal federal government sources, residents in hard-hit nations are wondering when they or somebody they love would be the next target.
- Combine quick sentences and eradicate repeated terms.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is with in western Africa. The Ebola virus is lethal. The Ebola virus is frightening to many individuals.
Re-write: The lethal Ebola virus outbreak in western Africa is frightening to a lot of individuals.
- Work with a semicolon to mix sentences.
The frightening and deadly Ebola outbreak in western Africa causes individuals to wonder that will function as victim that is next moreover, people do not trust the us government sources that state the herpes virus is included.
Why sentence that is changing works: if you have sentences beginning with the exact same word, you are probably with the “subject-verb-object” sort of phrase that English speakers utilize whenever we talk. You don’t have to always keep the subject as the first word in the sentence when you write. Then when you revise the word that is first your writing immediately appears more professional and smart.
Test Revisions: And even though federal government sources guarantee us the Ebola outbreak in western Africa should be included, people are frightened which they could become the following victims with this life-threatening virus.
maybe Not trusting federal government sources which guarantee us that the Ebola virus is contained, many individuals are frightened and wonder if they’re going to end up being the next victims for this lethal virus which originates from western Africa.
Always check Commas, Semicolons and Colons
The situation: Commas look when they’ren’t required or are lacking when they’re needed. Your trainer may compose “comma splice,” “run-on sentence” or “no comma required.”
The Solution: Proofread your paper while taking a look at the Rules for making use of Commas, and Easy Rules for Semicolon and Colon.
Here you will find the Fundamental Comma Rules:
- Make use of comma in a list.Example: James really loves bananas, oranges, peaches, and strawberries.
- Make use of comma before a combination (and, but, or, therefore, for, yet, nor) if you have a sentence that is fulltopic and verb) before and after the combination. instance: James really loves bananas which are ripe, buthe will not consume any fresh fruit which includes spots that are brown.
- Make use of comma after an Introductory Element ( phrase or word) which comes ahead of the topic in a phrase. Instance: In spite of eating a complete bowl high in fruit at meal, James had been nevertheless hungry.
- Use commas to mark down information that is unimportant. If you’ren’t certain that it requires a comma, then take to saying the phrase without that phrase. In the event that phrase nevertheless is practical, then you definitely should probably utilize commas. Example: James, whom really loves all types of good fresh fruit, constantly tries to come beside me once I’m shopping in the Farmer’s marketplace, that will be just available on Saturday mornings.
2 Ways to make use of Semicolon
- Make use of Semicolon in the place of a duration to place two sentences together.Example:James constantly goes we always argue over whether to get green, red, or black seedless grapes with me to the grocery store.
- Work with a Semicolon by having a transition term comma that is. Example:James always goes beside me into the food store; but, we often invest almost all of our time arguing over which kind of eliteessaywriters.com/blog/psychology-research-paper-topics prices grapes to purchase.
Make Use Of Colon
A colon is utilized before an inventory, a description or example. Example: James constantly argue about which grapes will be the most useful: red, black or green.
Check always Your Quotes and Sources
The difficulty: Students do not always utilize quote markings precisely or inform where they got information.
The perfect solution is: always check for where you need sources. While you read your paper over, mark the components which were some ideas that originated from some body else. Have actually you told your reader where you have that information? You particularly want to cite your supply for facts, data, quotations or other information that is not basic knowledge.
place your sources in your paper. The easiest method are not in big trouble for perhaps not together with your sources would be to point out where you’ve got the information and knowledge in your writing. Here are a few test platforms:
- In Damian Reed’s article, “Where Birds Fly South,” he states that.
- Relating to Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South,” the hummingbird does not migrate.
- Hummingbirds do not migrate once expected, notes Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South” (Reed 24).